“New leadership is needed for new times, but it will not come from finding more wily ways to manipulate the external world. It will come as we who serve and teach and lead find the courage to take an inner journey toward both our shadows and our light—a journey that, faithfully pursued, will take us beyond ourselves to become healers of a wounded world.”
—Parker J. Palmer
At the heart of authentic and trustworthy leadership is the courage to be fully human, to take risks, to care deeply, and to take action even in the midst of change and uncertainty. In our leadership programs, you will join other change-makers who dare to engage their work with presence and compassion.
Courage & Renewal leadership programs are designed for experienced and emerging organizational and community leaders from diverse professions—education, health care, business, public service, nonprofit, philanthropy, and religious life—to develop practices that support effective and courageous leadership. They offer you the time and space to reflect on the complex, challenging, and changing dimensions of your leadership experiences.
Move beyond the “what” and “how” questions of leadership and discover the “who” questions that really matter.
- Gain greater access to your inner wisdom and a new depth of self-knowledge
- Discover a process for discernment to reach clarity around life and career transitions
- Focus, without distraction, on what matters to you, especially your values and vision, challenges and fears
- Resolve to live closer to your core commitments
- Learn principles and practices from our Circle of Trust approach that can be applied to your daily life and work
- Connect with others seeking similar insights — who listen to and encourage each other, who honor each other’s differences
Below are some of our signature leadership programs.
In this intimate six-month program with 30 peers, you will cultivate your capacity for self awareness, exceptional listening and discernment. The result is the power to build relational trust — the foundation of authentic leadership and the catalyst to positive change. Take a “deep dive” into the heart and soul of leadership…
Are you passionate about your work or cause, but trying to sustain yourself in the midst of heavy demands and the urgency you feel about making a difference? This weekend retreat is for emerging leaders under 40 years old where you can explore questions of importance to you. Learn more…
- Geography of Grace is a four-day training on the principles and practices of the Circle of Trust approach with a curriculum you can take back into your congregations and communities of faith.
- Habits of the Heart for Healthy Congregations is an annual four-day retreat and learning conference for clergy and faith leaders who seek renewed energy for ministry, courage to lead in the congregation, and practices for building community.
The Touchstone—Trusted Leaders, Trusted Spaces executive program is a transformational learning experience for the senior executive who wants to bring authentic, visionary leadership to their organization. It equips leaders with tools and practices to create cultures that attract and retain colleagues who show up fully, embrace creative risk together, and replicate trust across their institutions. The program takes place over six months, combining in-person retreats, interim practice opportunities and virtual / online coaching between sessions. Learn more…
Find a Facilitator offering leadership programs. At that page, select Leadership from the Specialty Area and click “apply filter” to search.
You can also contact us the Center for Courage & Renewal and we’ll be happy to talk with you about a customized program for your organization’s leadership team.
Featured articles by Parker J. Palmer:
Leadership Events on the Calendar