New leadership is needed for new times, but it will not come from finding more wily ways to manipulate the external world. It will come as we who serve and teach and lead find the courage to take an inner journey toward both our shadows and our light – a journey that, faithfully pursued, will take us beyond ourselves to become healers in a wounded world.
̴ Parker J. Palmer, A Hidden Wholeness
Seeking Development Officer, Seattle, WA
Position Title: Development Officer
Reports to: Executive Director
About the Center for Courage & Renewal:
The Center for Courage & Renewal provides program development that aids people from all walks of life in cultivating the heart and soul of leadership, encouraging people to “lead from within.” The Center and its growing global network help people lead lives of courage and integrity by offering online resources, in-person retreats, and personal/professional development programs. Our Facilitators lead programs using the Circle of Trust® approach, based on the work of author and activist Parker J. Palmer.
In its 25th year, the Center has a new Executive Director and is actively exploring new strategic directions to help extend the reach and impact of our work, thereby having a greater influence in a world in need of such leadership.
The office is located in downtown Seattle, and we employ 13 people both locally and nationally. This position is expected to be located in the Seattle office. The Center is an equal employment organization and actively seeks candidates from marginalized communities.
The Development Officer is responsible for leading fundraising actions with Communications and Finance staff and providing a high level of support to the Executive Director, Major Gifts Officer, and Board of Directors.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and the Major Gifts Officer, develop and execute an Annual Fundraising Plan.
- Prepare and manage annual fundraising budget.
- Coordinate development, production and execution of fundraising communications in all media forms, including storycatching, writing and editing for donor outreach.
- Coordinate other donor outreach including year-end giving statements, and legacy gift communications. (Print, electronic, web)
- Responsible for keeping accurate and organized paper and electronic records for individual gifts.
- Develop and manage SalesForce fundraising campaigns.
- Work with Finance Manager to reconcile donor activity between SalesForce and Quickbooks.
- Supports ED/MGO with major donor/prospect relationships and outreach, research, as well as gift strategies and targets.
- Supports ED/MGO in developing and managing fundraising events and programs.
- Supports ED in fundraising communications with board, providing relevant narrative, data, graphs and charts.
- Ideal candidate has at least 5 years fundraising experience and is looking to bring skills, fresh ideas and enthusiasm for the challenge of engaging donors of all levels as partners in transformation.
- BA/BS. Preferred MA. Non-Profit Management or other relevant field.
- Excellent writing skills and experience in producing content for development purposes. Bonus for artistic eye and experience designing collateral for print and online.
- Participates in professional networks and conferences. National Storytelling Conference participation a plus.
- Comfortable speaking to groups, small and large.
- Project management skills. Ability to learn and work independently and manage own time and responsibilities
- Financial acumen
- Proficiency in MS Word/Excel and fundraising database experience (Salesforce preferred) required.
- Capacity to work well with Courage & Renewal staff, facilitators, donors and donor prospects.
- Ability to work as part of a team and contribute to team meetings, ideas, and feedback
- Flexibility and willingness to help where needed
- Familiarity with the work of Parker Palmer and/or experience with the Circle of Trust® approach would be ideal.
Send a letter of interest and resume electronically to Terasa Cooley, Executive Director, at email@example.com. We will begin considering candidates in early December.
The Center for Courage & Renewal offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
The Center for Courage & Renewal is an equal opportunity employer.